I am always asked what brands I carry as a makeup artist, and to put things short I carry many many different brands, there are certain cult products that I wouldn't be without and I use a variety of brands and products depending on the clients needs.
One of my favourite brands however is MAC Cosmetics, and I have put together my Top 10 Ultimate Must Haves (In my opinion of course) I haven't discussed foundations because there are too many elements to consider, I will write another blog post soon on the different foundations I use and why.
1. MAC Prolongwear Concealer
This is by far my favourite concealer ever for undereyes, its from the pro-longwear range by mac and the reason I love it is that its super moisturising on the under eye area but it doesn't cake under my eyes making me look 10 years older, but no.1 is that it covers my multitude. I am very fussy when it comes to concealers as I have quite dark circles under my eye area and concealers tend to crease alot and rub off quite easy, but not with this concealer. I do have to set it lightly with a powder to make sure it stays put. It comes in NW and NC shades so make sure to get swatched when you are buying.
2. MAC Fix+ Spray
I have posted about this little gem before, MAC Fix+ is like an all in one type of product. Packed with vitamins, You can use it to
- Spray on the face before applying makeup to refresh the skin.
- Spraying before applying foundation it creates a base for the foundation to cling to helping it to last longer
- Hydrates the skin & when sprayed after makeup it is applied to add a dewy/moisturised look to the skin.
- Use to build up foundation coverage by spraying between applying layers to achieve a fuller coverage look without looking cakey.
- Spray on foundation brush when using powder foundations to get a less powdery finish.
- Spray on eyeshadow brushes before applying eyeshadow for a stronger finish.
- Create eyeliner using eyeshadow by wetting eyeliner (angle) brush with fix+ before picking up eyeshadow on the brush this will ensure a longer lasting deeper eyeliner look.
3. MAC Mineralize “Soft & Gentle” Highlighter
The holy grail of highlighting powders, this high-frost metallic finish leaves the most gorgeous glow on the skin. I use this as an eyeshadow and a highlighter. It never leaves my kit or my personal makeup bag! It makes the skin look dewy and without making it look oily.
4. MAC Prep n Prime Highlighter Pen
I bought this pen after visiting Brown Thomas in galway and explaining to the makeup artist that I had quite a dehydrated and dark undereye area. This pen can be used for various reasons such as Highlighting the face overall, and can be used as a corrector to correct discolouration such as the undereye area. The reason I love it so much is the light creamy texture which leaves such a natural and bright finish under my eyes which I can then apply my pro-longwear concealer over and voila, I have a brighter less tired looking undereye area. I also use this to sculpt out my face for highlighting so I apply under the eyes, on my forehead, bridge of my nose and tops of cheekbones.
5. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Powder
I use this product as a setting powder for my foundation. The reason I use a setting powder mainly is to help make my makeup last longer. A light dusting of the mineralize skinfinish powder not only helps it to last longer it also adds an extra step of flawlessness to my foundation. There are also the darker shades of mineralize skin finish which are excellent contour powders. I would highly recommend that you get a testing run with this product as it can tend to oxidise on the skin (making your skin look darker) so make sure the shade you choose is the right one.
6. MAC Melba Blusher
Melba is a light pinky peach tone blush, very longlasting and give a gorgeous glow to the skin. Gorgeous for Fair to Medium Skin tones.
7. MAC Eyeshadows – Shroom, Soft Brown, Cork/Embark, Carbon (Create a palette of four)
These eyeshadows are my staples in my kit and the ones I go through the quickest and have to replace most often.
- Shroom is a satin off white eyeshadow which is so versatile and anyone can wear it. Its perfect under the brow bone, inner corners of the eye, use as a highlighter on cheekbones and also just as a typical eyeshadow.
- Soft Brown is a matte peach based eyeshadow wich is perfect for contouring the eye socket and for blending out darker eyeshadows.
- Cork & Embark - Both darker matte brown shades depending on your eye colour and preferences you can choose either to smoke out eye makeup looks
- Carbon - Blackest of black matte eyeshadowused for smokey looks, smoking out eyeliner etc
8. MAC Lipsticks – Ruby Woo (Red), Brave (Pink Nude), Blankety (Warm Nude), Hue (Peach Nude)
My favourite lipsticks from MAC. These four are what gets used and recommended most often.
9. MAC Paintpot - Painterly
This product is used as an eyeshadow base, I apply all over the lid to even out the skin tone of the eyelid, its a natural pink shade and it just blends perfectly across the lid.
10. MAC Kohl Eyeliner Pencil Smoulder
The only pencil you need to create the blackest and smudgiest of smokey eyes.
As always I would appreciate if you could share my blogs with your friends and family on social media, and of course let me know what you think or of you have any questions <3 xxx